Jack Backen specialises in the economics behind property performance. With qualifications in economics, law and finance, Jack joined Urbis in 2005 and focuses on projects in Asia. He is one of the founding directors of Urbis’ newly established Singapore entity, Cistri.
While Jack’s expertise lies in the retail sector, he also has wide experience across the office, residential and hospitality property sectors. He’s worked on projects in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, China, Japan, Indonesia, Pakistan, New Zealand and Qatar.
Jack provides in-depth economic research and analysis for projects of all kinds – including demographic analysis and change forecasting, property market performance forecasting, market demand studies, financial feasibility studies, highest and best land-use studies, and strategic master planning advice. He is also an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers, and sits on its Asia-Pacific Research Committee.
Jack’s project experience:
- Highest & Best Use and Feasibility Study for Mixed Project (Dongguan, China)
- Financial Due Diligence for Purchase of Super-Regional Mall (Chongqing, China)
- Feasibility Study for Retail Component of Mixed Project (Dubai, UAE)
- Retail Market Entry Study (Indonesia)
- Economic Inputs to Elmina City Master Planned Community for Sime Darby Property (Malaysia)
- Financial Due Diligence for Purchase of Three Lotte Marts (Korea)
- Expansion Potential Assessment for Setia City Mall, (Malaysia)
- Market Update, Sales and Rent Forecasts for Parkway Parade (Singapore)
- Financial Due Diligence for Purchase of Galleria (Chengdu, China)
- Economic Review of MVV Master Plan For Sime Darby Property (Malaysia)